FOUNDERS OF CHRIST BAPTIST CHURCH
Rev. Johnson became the founding pastor of Christ Baptist Church in April of 1955 and pastored for 13 years, and terminated his pastorate in June of 1968. Under his ministry God called twelve men into the Gospel ministry. Of that number, eight were licensed and six were ordained. Three became pastors: Rev. George Wolf, former pastor of First Baptist Church of Wildwood, NJ, Rev. Junius Bervine, pastor of Christian Union Church; and Rev. John Green Jr., pastor of Christ Baptist Church. Ten are committed to mission. The Shipley family has served in Africa, Daisy Whaley in the Ivory Coast, Rev. and Mrs. Milton Switzer in Castleton, VA.Several members have been very active in many phases of Christian ministry throughout the Philadelphia area. Praise be to God for leading the church from the doorstep of the home of Deacon Iris Hall to its present edifice.
Rev. Benjamin and Louise Johnson
In May of 1968, the church called one of its sons to fill the pulpit for Rev. Ben Johnson, Pastor John Green Jr, his life verse was Proverbs 3:5-7. The verse used to confirm his call into the pastorate is Luke 15:15. Pastor Green preaced his first sermon as Pastor June 2, 1968. His theme was "He Leaded Me" Numbers 9:23. It was his prayer that the church will continue to grow in the things of God and that the people will ever hold him before the Lord in prayer. With God's blessing and under Pastors Green's continued leadership the church grew. Out of that physical growth came the vision for the church to expand from its building at 1509 Church Lane to the corner of Old York and Church Lane to the driveway beyond the 1515 property. In July of 1979, the property at 1515 Church Lane was purchased and was used for a nursery and living quartes for visiting missionaries. In August of 1983, the garage at 1503- 1505 Church Lane became available and was purchased by the church. The men of the church, led by the pastor (and with the help of professional contractors where needed) did the reconstruction to its present state. Along with the physical growth came spiritual growth as well. Rev. David J. White and Rev. Nathan Adams were added to the church staff as co-pastors to assist Pastor Green. Rev Ed Baily, Rev Lawrence Ginyard Sr., Rev. Mike Martin, Rev. Earl Potter, Rev James Campbell, Rev. Edward YoungBlood, and Rev. Mark Cooper were ordained to the Gospel Ministry. On June 12, 1994 a commissioning service was held for missionaries Rev & Mrs Mark Cooper, Beverly Nottage, Mrs Audrey Pennington, and Ms. Margaret Williams. After 34 years of service Pastor John Green, Jr. retired in 2002 due to health concerns. Pastor John Green went home to be with the Lord in 2009.
Rev. John Green Jr and Mary Green
SR. PASTOR OF CHRIST BAPTIST CHURCH
Pastor Arthur D. Taylor was born and raised in Marion, Indiana and has been married to the former Rhonda Gordon of Terre Haute, IN since 1985. They have two adult children, Angelica and D’Andrey. Pastor Taylor entered the ministry at the age of eighteen in Marion, Indiana shortly after graduating from Marion High School. He went on to attend Marion College in Marion, Indiana, Methodist College in Fayetteville, NC., and Mount Olive College in Mount Olive, NC.
Pastor Taylor completed “Pastoring With A Purpose” in May 2009 with Dr. Willie Richardson. Pastor Taylor received a Bible College Diploma from Faith Bible Institute in December 2009 and received his Advanced Diploma in Biblical Studies from there in December 2011. Pastor Taylor is an Armed Forces Veteran, having served in the U.S. Army for eight years (1984-1992) as a Chaplain’s Assistant, with tours in Korea and Desert Storm. Pastor Taylor’s first pastorate was in Clinton, North Carolina from August 1989 to December 2003. Pastor Taylor was elected in December 2003 and began his pastorate at Christ Baptist in January 2004 and is presently the Senior Pastor.